There are a number of standardized camera shots (or frames), the names of which are commonly derived from varying camera-subject distances.
This camera shots are:
- the long shot: plano general
- the full shot: plano entero
- the medium full shot (also known as American shot because of its frequent use in westerns. This was because a shot that started at knee level would reveal the weapon of a cowboy, usually holstered at his waist): Plano Americano
- the medium shot: plano medio
- the close-up: primer plano
- the extreme close up: primerísimo primer plano o plano detalle